04 August 2024

Thanksgiving XI ~

28 July-3 August:  During the past week, I was thankful for God's Word and its affirmation of my status as a daughter of the Most High (John 1:12); thankful for the Bible and its word pictures of life as it was in days long ago; thankful for this message from Philippians 3:10-14 where it is written: "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participation in His sufferings, becoming like Him .... Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (New International Version); thankful for friendship - may I offer an ever more clear reflection of Jesus to those with whom my life path intersects; I was thankful for warm water available with just a twist of the tap handle!  What a blessing in a world where many have to walk miles and carry buckets to have water to drink, where bathing is done in cold or polluted water; thankful as I read these words from Psalm 119:89-93 where it is written: "What You say goes, God, and stays, as permanent as the heavens. Your truth never goes out of fashion; it’s as up-to-date as the earth when the sun comes up. Your Word and truth are dependable as ever; that’s what You ordered—You set the earth going. If Your revelation hadn’t delighted me so, I would have given up when the hard times came. But I’ll never forget the advice You gave me; You saved my life with those wise words." (MSG); thankful for the memory that came to me - one of our lay-pastors asked "Are We A Galilee or A Dead Sea?" (accepting God's gifts and passing them on or like a berry-bush sucker that only saps energy from the plant but bears no fruit); I was thankful that the Master can use us before we are fully complete in Him; thankful for this message from Matthew 5:14-16 where it is written: " You are the light of the world. A city lying on a hill is not able to be hidden. 15 Nor do they burn a lamp and put it under the basket, but on the lampstand— and it shines on all the ones in the house. 16 In this manner, let your light shine in front of people so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in the heavens." (Disciples' Literal New Testament); thankful for another day of life and freedom from the aches and pains that plague many who've survived as long as I; thankful for all the greenery, the flowers blooming around the edges of our house - much beauty in our world; thankful for the assurance of these words: ". . . To as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the right [the authority, the privilege] to become children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name—" (John 1:12; Amplified Bible); thankful for every new day with the anticipation of its blessings; thankful for the many choices of reading materials that are available to me; thankful for these precious words from Psalm 138;1-2 where we read: "Thank you! Everything in me says “Thank you!” Angels listen as I sing my thanks. I kneel in worship . . . and say it again: “Thank you!” Thank you for your love, thank you for your faithfulness; most holy is your name, most holy is your Word." (Message); thankful for the pleasant sense of anticipation - awaiting known (and unknown) events in the future - blessings before blessings!  I was thankful to know the Creator is preparing a place for me; thankful for the counsel in James 1:21-22 that reads: ". . . With a humble spirit receive the word [of God] which is implanted [actually rooted in your heart], which is able to save your souls. But prove yourselves doers of the word [actively and continually obeying God’s precepts], and not merely listeners [who hear the word but fail to internalize its meaning], deluding yourselves [by unsound reasoning contrary to the truth]). (Amplified Bible);thankful for the blessed Sabbath day with all the family attending the Bible study and worship services; thankful for the message from youngest D.D. that the wildfire that was threatening their location has been tamed; and I was thankful for this counsel from 1 Samuel 16:7 where it is written: "... God doesn’t look at things like humans do. Humans see only what is visible to the eyes, but the Lord sees into the heart.” (Common English Bible).

No comments: