21 July 2024

Thanksgiving XI ~

 14-20 July:  In the past week, I was thankful to know the One who hears (and answers) our prayers - prayers re situations, for others, and for ourselves; thankful for the continuing and constant work of the Holy Spirit - in my life and as revealed in the lives of others; thankful for Jesus' words about "abiding" as found in John 15:10 where we read: "If you keep My commandments [if you continue to obey My instructions], you will abide in My love and live on in it, just as I have obeyed My Father’s commandments and live on in His love." (Amplified Bible, Classic Edition); thankful for a life in the slow lane - fewer of the bumps and jostling than will happen while speeding through life; thankful for the gifts of sunlight and blue skies above me; thankful for this message from James 1:20-22 where it is written: "For [human] anger does not promote the righteousness God [wishes and requires]. So get rid of all uncleanness and the rampant outgrowth of wickedness, and in a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls. But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]." (Amplified Bible, Classic Edition); thankful for the recognition of my position as a daughter of the King of all creation - what a blessing!  I was thankful for strength to manage ambulation with the help of my walker for balance; thankful for the affirmation in Colossians 2:9-10 where we read: "... The entire fullness of God’s nature dwells bodily in Christ, and you have been filled by Him, who is the head over every ruler and authority." (Holman Christian Standard Bible); thankful for enough - enough of all I need to accomplish the duties and desires of this day;  thankful for the recognition that this world is not my "home" - "I'm just a-passin' thru'"; thankful for this, from Psalm 16:1-2: "Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust. O my soul, you have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord, my goodness is nothing apart from You.'” (New King James Version); thankful for another day of life - that my brain is busy with thoughts and plans, that all my limbs are moving; thankful to be living in this beautiful place; thankful that the counsel in the Word is still "profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action)” (2 Timothy 3:16, Amplified Version); thankful for another day of sunshine; thankful for the text messages that let me share the day's meal plan in a click (or TWO!) of a mouse; thankful for this promise from Isaiah 41:9-10 where we read: "I brought you from the ends of the earth;. . .and said to you,‘You are my servant.’ I did not reject you, but chose you. Do not be afraid—I am with you! I am your God—let nothing terrify you! I will make you strong and help you; I will protect you and save you." (Good News Translation); thankful for a new day of life, and the strength remaining to me in my eighty-fifth year (good ancestry from both parents does not obviate a life-time of my foolish choices!) - to God be the glory!   I was thankful for a new Sabbath and the anticipation of our quarterly Communion service; and thankful for this message in 1 John 1:6-7 where we read: "If we claim that we have fellowship with [God] and are walking in the darkness, we are lying and not doing the truth. But if we are walking in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin." (Disciples' Literal New Testament).

No comments: