03 March 2024

Thanksgiving XI ~

25 February-2 March:  During the past week, I was thankful for the life counsel found in the Bible. Living life "my way" rarely brings the happiness one seeks, but following the counsel found in Scripture brings blessing upon blessing.  I was thankful for signs that spring is close at hand - the daffodil leaves poking through the mulch, and leaf buds swelling on the lilacs; thankful, too, as I consider the words of Jesus from Matthew 22:37-39 where this is written: "'You must love the Lord your God,' replied Jesus, 'with all your heart, with all your life, and with all your mind. This is the first commandment, and it’s the one that really matters. The second is similar, and it’s this: You must love your neighbor as yourself.'" (New Testament for Everyone); thankful for another fresh coat of white on the ground - a pleasure for the eyes (not so much, though, for driving or walking!); thankful that there are only a few more weeks until Spring arrives; thankful for God's words as recorded in Isaiah 46:9-10: "Remember the prior things—from long ago; I AM God, and there’s no other. I AM God! There’s none like me, who tells the end at the beginning, from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My plan will stand; all that I decide I will do'" (Common English Bible), His Word is sure!  I was thankful for another day of life, and and strength to see me through it; thankful for the up-to-date forecasts of the weather in whatever part of the country is home; thankful for this counsel from 1 John 3:18-20: " My dear children, let’s not just talk about love; let’s practice real love. This is the only way we’ll know we’re living truly, living in God’s reality. It’s also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves" (Message); thankful for the memories that are stored in my head- what a blessing comes from the practice of thanksgiving, for the happy memories are reinforced and those less happy fade; thankful to be able to remember so many of the hymns and songs I've learned over past years - making melody in my heart is always a good thing;  thankful for the assurance in Paul's message to Timothy that can be found in 2 Timothy 1:7, where we read: "The Spirit God gave us does not make us afraid. His Spirit is a source of power and love and self-control" (Easy Reading Version); thankful that, in spite of the forecast of snow during the forecast period, spring IS coming soon; thankful to see that the sun is noticeably farther north as it makes its appearance through the bare limbs of the tree outside my window - anyone else ready for spring?   I was thankful as well for this message from Genesis 8:22: "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease" (English Standard Version) - the cycle continues by the powerful Word of the Lord!  I was thankful for warm water whenever (and for WHATEVER) when I open a tap - so many in this world have to walk far and carry a heavy load to bring water to where they live; thankful for this precious thought, showing on the little packet of verses on my desk, from Psalm 73:25-26: "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (English Standard Version); thankful to be able to celebrate a new Sabbath enjoying this precious time of worship and fellowship with the sisters and brothers in our Grangeville church via the internet connection; thankful for the strength our Father provides to meet the needs of each day; and I was thankful to trust the One who is my faithful guide, who - when I've wandered - finds me and restores me to His path “... He knows where I am going. And when He tests me, I will come out as pure as gold." (Job 23:10; New Living Translation).


No comments: