08 January 2024

Thanksgiving XI ~

31 December - 6 January:  During the past week, I have been thankful for the powerful promises of Psalm 91 - promises given to all who are willing to ". . . dwell in the secret place of the Most High [God] . . . ." My desire is to know this place, and moment-by-moment, to abide in His care.  I was thankful for the everyday strength and comfort I find in the psalms - the reminders that others have struggled with life's problems and, trusting in God, have survived with a heart full of praise.   I was thankful, too, for the blessings of the past year - 2023 - and looking forward to what my Father has in store for me in 2024 - the blessing of this New Year is clean, unmarked by any missteps.   Father, help me follow Your guidance that my steps may not mislead another traveler on this road; I was very thankful that my New Year began here in this quiet little town instead of among the crowds in Times Square waiting for the glittery ball to drop - what a scene!   I was thankful, too, for these words from 2 Corinthians 5:17: "So then if anyone is in Christ, [she] is a new creation. The old things passed-away; behold, new things have come-into-being" (Disciples' Literal New Testament); thankful for another day to remember - to remember the One who has created the world on which I live and who has at least twice given me life; thankful for a day of sunlight and blue skies; thankful for this reminder from Psalm 90:12: "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (King James Version); thankful for the beauty that remains in our troubled world - yes, there is much that is desolated, much that is ruined, but I'm praising God for the dear folks who create beauty with their talents in music, in art, and in shaping bare soil into beauty with plantings of seeds and bulbs, grasses and shrubs in pleasing designs; I was thankful for the measure of health and strength that remains in my life; thankful for these words from Titus 2:11-12 where we read: "... The grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age." (New International Version); thankful to be able to access my nephrologist and change Monday's appointment to an earlier hour due to weather forecast of snow all thru' the weekend; thankful for these clear words from Micah 6:8 where God's will for us is outlined: "The Lord has told you what is good. He has told you what he wants from you: Do what is right to other people. Love being kind to others. And live humbly, trusting your God." (International Childrens Bible); thankful to be inside a cozy, warm house instead of outside; thankful for sunshine that brightens me inside as well as making the outdoors sparkle; and, as I read the promises from God in His Word, I was thankful for these words from Jeremiah 1:12 where it is written: "Then said the Lord to me, 'You have seen well, for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it'" (Amplified Bible, Classic Edition); thankful for another Sabbath - the day our Creator God, our Lord claimed as His own (Genesis 2:2-3, Mark 2:27-28); thankful for sound sleep and rest - for the mental defragmentation during sleep that the Creator hard-wired into our brains; and I was thankful for the admonishment found in 1 Peter 1:16 where we read: "As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God’s life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, “I am holy; you be holy.” (Message).



No comments: