31 December 2023

Thanksgiving XI ~

 24 -30 December:  This past week, I have been thankful for all my family and friends who are remembering the reason we celebrate Christmas - one of my grand-daughters posted a cartoon showing the Flintstone family gathered round a Christmas tree with the caption, "What are they celebrating?"- good question.  If not for Jesus, WHY?  I was thankful, too, for the beauty of this community - all lit up and sparkling with lights; thankful for the reminder that our Father sees His children shining ". . . as lights in the world" (Philippians 2:15); thankful for the opportunity to send Christmas greetings to all; thankful to the One whose long-ago birth we celebrate today; thankful that the time for His glorious return is one day nearer than yesterday; thankful for this message from Luke 21:25-26, 28: "... There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars; and upon the earth [there will be] distress (trouble and anguish) of nations in bewilderment and perplexity [without resources, left wanting, embarrassed, in doubt, not knowing which way to turn] at the roaring (the echo) of the tossing of the sea, men swooning away or expiring with fear and dread and apprehension and expectation of the things that are coming on the world; for the [very] powers of the heavens will be shaken and caused to totter. Now when these things begin to occur, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption (deliverance) is drawing near." (Amplified Bible, Classic Edition); thankful that 2000 years ago there was One who laid aside His heavenly privileges to become forever a member of the human race - a Savior who was born to die for a world that was in rebellion; thankful that His tomb is empty today; and so thankful to be one of those awaiting His promised return - "I will come again, to receive you unto Myself, that where I am you may be also" John 14:3; thankful as I consider my status as a child of the Most High God, the Lord of all the earth and our Creator (John 1:3,12); thankful the Creator is also a Redeemer for all who accept Him as Lord of their lives - living for Him; thankful for this song of praise from Psalm 103:1-2 where it is written: "Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits:" (New King James Version); thankful for a sound sleep and an alert beginning to the day; thankful for the thoughtful messages I found in my on-line Adventist Review yesterday; thankful for these beautiful words found in Matthew 11:28-29: “Come to Me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest. Accept My teaching. Learn from Me. I am gentle and humble in spirit. And you will be able to get some rest." (Easy Reading Version); so very thankful for a dear friend who gifted me and my D.D. with a pair of previously owned Miracle-Ear hearing aids that were fitted for me yesterday; thankful for that company's policy re aids that can no longer be used by the original owner;  thankful for those who follow this concept found in Ecclesiastes 5:19 where we read "If God gives some people wealth, property, and the power to enjoy those things, they should enjoy them. They should accept the things they have and enjoy their work—that is a gift from God." (Easy Reading Version); thankful to know of our Creator God and the day He set aside to spend with us every week - the Sabbath (Genesis 2:2-3); thankful for the privilege of watching Hope Sabbath School on my smart phone; and I was thankful for the blessing of God's Word on all who keep the Sabbath as found in Isaiah 58:13-14 where we read: "If you stop trampling the Sabbath, stop doing whatever you want on my holy day, and consider the Sabbath a delight, sacred to the Lord, honored, and honor it instead of doing things your way, seeking what you want and doing business as usual, then you will take delight in the Lord. I will let you ride on the heights of the earth;...." (Common English Bible).



No comments: