28 January 2024

Thanksgiving XI ~

 21-27 January:  During the past week, I was thankful for the grace provided in the family with which I am living; thankful for the abundant grace provided by the Father to a world in rebellion against His government; thankful for this promise found in 1 John 1:8-9 where we read: "If we refuse to admit that we are sinners, then we live in a world of illusion and truth becomes a stranger to us. But if we freely admit that we have sinned, we find God utterly reliable and straightforward—he forgives our sins and makes us thoroughly clean from all that is evil." (PHILLIPS); thankful for my helper who comes to assist D.D. with my care four days each week (and thankful that she's getting more confident about driving wintry roads!); I was thankful to have the God-given gift of "free-will" - the choice to do as He asks; thankful for the message of persistence that comes from the Holman Christian Standard Bible when reading from Matthew 7:7-8: “Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who searches finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."; thankful for a new day of life, and the strength promised; thankful for lists that help me to focus on what I need to do - distractability issues do not grow less with seniority; thankful for the promise found in James 1:5 where we read: ". . . Anyone who needs wisdom should ask God, whose very nature is to give to everyone without a second thought, without keeping score. Wisdom will certainly be given to those who ask" (Common English Bible); thankful to be able to enjoy the antics of the six four-legged creatures who live with us - as well as the antics of the out-of-doors critters whose occasional appearance causes much excitement for the indoors pets; I was thankful for Sabbath School lessons with a focus on the book of Psalms and applications for us today; thankful as I read the beautiful words of Isaiah 12:2, which read: "Indeed, God is my salvation; I will trust Him and not be afraid, for . . . the Lord is my strength and my song. He has become my salvation" (Holman's Christian Standard Bible); thankful for the privilege of prayer - an open door to the throne-room of the universe;  thankful for the One who hears the prayers and answers each one with what is for our best good and His glory; thankful for these words about the God of Abraham from Romans 4:17: ". . . This is true before God, the one Abraham believed—the God who gives life to the dead and speaks of things that don’t yet exist as if they are real" (Easy Reading Version). This is what makes His promises precious to me - I may not see what is promised, but it WILL come!  I was thankful to be living in a land where I am still free to worship without fear that "the authorities" can punish or restrain me and/or those with whom I meet - thinking of those who live in places where such punishment often occurs; thankful to be accepted as a daughter of the King, with an inheritance in His forever kingdom; thankful for this message from Revelation 22:16-17: “'I, Jesus, sent my Angel to testify to these things for the churches. I’m the Root and Branch of David, the Bright Morning Star.' 'Come!' say the Spirit and the Bride. Whoever hears, echo, 'Come!' Is anyone thirsty? Come! All who will, come and drink, drink freely of the Water of Life!" (MESSAGE); thankful to join with all who are lifting their voices in praise to the Creator for His marvelous works of creation and redemption; I was thankful for my church and the family of believers there; thankful for the promise found in Ephesians 6:12-13 where it is written: " We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world. So put on all the armor that God gives. Then when that evil day comes, you will be able to defend yourself. And when the battle is over, you will still be standing firm." (Common English Version).


No comments: